Our Practice Areas
Our Austin family lawyers provide a wide range of family law services to Austinites. We help clients deal with family law disputes in the following practice areas:
Divorce. For many people, filing for a divorce is the hardest thing they'll ever do. Nobody enters a marriage expecting it to end someday, and saying goodbye to the life you've built with your spouse can be incredibly painful and emotionally draining. Divorce is also a complex process, involving multiple other legal disputes like property division, alimony, and child custody and support. Our family lawyers have extensive knowledge of Texas divorce laws. We can help you find the best path forward in your divorce, working with you to protect your rights and make the process less draining. Our Austin family law attorneys understand that divorce itself often isn't the most challenging part of ending a marriage—most people are just as afraid of what happens once the divorce is finalized. Our team will help you navigate your divorce with confidence so you can use it to springboard into a better life.
- Child custody. For many parents, the custody battle is the most nerve-wracking part of a divorce. It's not difficult to understand why—the outcome of a custody dispute can change family dynamics and parent-child relationships forever. Our Austin family lawyers are committed to helping you find the best path forward for your child. We'll work tirelessly to protect your parental rights while also working to pursue your child's best interests. We'll do the heavy lifting and take the legal burden of child custody from your shoulders so you can take time to focus on what really matters—your children.
- Child support. Like child custody, child support can be a contentious subject during divorces. How your child support case plays out can have a substantial impact on you and your child's financial stability, so ensuring you receive an equitable judgment from the court is vital. Our Austin family law attorneys can help you understand how child support gets calculated in Texas so you can budget for the future. We'll also work with you to secure your parental rights and do what's best for your child as we move through the child support process.
- Spousal maintenance. We've all heard about how ugly alimony disputes can get. Whether you're the payor or recipient in an alimony case, you need an Austin family lawyer you can trust by your side to help you safeguard your rights and help you pursue an equitable judgment. Our team is here to help you fight for a fair spousal maintenance arrangement.
- Modifications. Not every court order stays good forever—in fact, most don't. The child custody arrangement that works for you when you get divorced may not be suitable five years down the line. If you or the other party's circumstances change substantially (for example, you lose your job, they get remarried, etc.), you should file a modification case to get an updated court order that reflects your current circumstances more accurately. Our Austin family law attorneys are here to help you understand the modification process and pursue a new courter that's fair to you and serves your best interests.
- Complex and high-asset divorce. When two parties with significant assets engage in a divorce, the process becomes even more complicated. Understanding how to deal with processes like property division when a family business or real estate is on the line can be challenging. You need an Austin family lawyer who understands the unique challenges associated with high-asset divorce to help you identify the best path forward. How the court handles your high-asset divorce could set the tone for the rest of your life. We're here to help you protect your assets and resolve your divorce as peacefully as possible.
- Common law marriage. Today, more people than ever before are eschewing traditional marriage in favor of other alternatives like cohabitation and common law marriage. If you're interested in having a legally recognized marriage to your partner without obtaining a marriage license or ceremony, we can help. Our Austin family law attorneys are familiar with common law marriage statues in Texas, and can help you and your partner finalize your marriage.
- Domestic violence and abuse. Dealing with a domestic violence or abuse case can be incredibly difficult. Domestic violence disputes can be legally complex and emotionally challenging to navigate. Our Austin family lawyers are here to help you protect your rights and obtain court orders, like a protective order, that can help you escape an abusive situation and get a new lease on life. We'll handle your case so you can focus on your health and well-being.
At Cofer & Connelly, PLLC, our Austin family lawyers pride themselves on delivering outstanding results to clients.
Related Family Law Blogs
- What to Know About Filing for Divorce in Texas
- How Can An Arrest Affect My Child Custody Order?
- Am I Responsible For Financing My Child's College Education
- What Should I Do If I Wish to Relocate With My Child?