Austin Drug Possession Attorneys
Aggressive Defense for Drug Possession Charges in Texas
When facing drug possession charges in Austin, Texas, you need the expertise of the the drug crime defense attorneys at Cofer & Connelly, PLLC. With our in-depth knowledge of Texas drug laws and a strong track record of successfully defending clients, you can trust that we are dedicated to protecting your rights and fighting for the best possible outcome.
Our Austin drug possession lawyers will diligently analyze the details of your case, challenge evidence, explore legal defenses, and advocate on your behalf throughout the legal process. With over 65 years of combined experience and strategic approach, you can rest assured that your defense is in capable hands. We are committed to ensuring that your rights are upheld and every available option is explored for a favorable resolution.
If you're being charged with drug possession in Llano County, you need a solid defense team. Contact the Austin drug possession attorneys at Cofer & Connelly, PLLC online or by calling (512) 991-0576 today to set up a consultation today!
What are the Penalties for Drug Possession in Texas?
In Texas, the penalties for drug possession vary depending on the type and amount of the controlled substance involved. The state categorizes drugs into penalty groups, with Group 1 substances being considered the most serious and Group 4 substances considered the least serious.
Here is a general overview of the penalties for drug possession in Texas:
- Group 1
- Possession of less than one gram is a state jail felony punishable by up to 2 years in state jail.
- Possession of one gram or more but less than four grams is a third-degree felony carrying a punishment of 2 to 10 years in prison, along with a fine of up to $10,000.
- Group 2
- Possession of less than one gram is a state jail felony, similar to Group 1 substances.
- Possession of one gram or more but less than four grams is a third-degree felony with the same penalties as Group 1 substances.
- Group 3
- Possession of less than 28 grams is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in county jail and a fine of up to $4,000.
- Possession of 28 grams or more but less than 200 grams is a second-degree felony carrying a penalty of 2 to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
- Group 4
- Possession of less than 28 grams is a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to 180 days in county jail and a fine of up to $2,000.
- Possession of 28 grams or more but less than 200 grams is a second-degree felony, similar to Group 3 substances.
Drug Possession Penalty Enhancements
It's important to note that these penalties can be enhanced based on factors such as
- Prior convictions
- Proximity to certain locations (e.g., schools or playgrounds)
- Intent to distribute
Additionally, certain drug possession offenses may have mandatory minimum sentences.
It's crucial to consult with an experienced drug possession defense attorney who can evaluate the specific circumstances of your case, provide personalized advice, and work towards minimizing the potential penalties you may face for drug possession in Texas.
Begin Discussing Your Defense Options with Our Austin Drug Possession Defense Lawyers Now
Our Austin drug possession attorneys at Cofer & Connelly, PLLC are highly skilled in defending clients facing drug possession charges in Texas. With our extensive knowledge of state drug laws and a strong track record of success, we provide dedicated and strategic legal representation to protect the rights and interests of our clients.
Reach out to the experienced and effective Austin drug possession defense attorneys at Cofer & Connelly, PLLC online or by calling (512) 991-0576.
"Excellent all around. Highly recommend."W. N.
"I am eternally grateful for all of the efforts they put in to go above and beyond for everyone they help."Former Client
"They really listen to and care about their client's needs and consistently fight for the best outcome! I am eternally grateful for all of the effort they put in to go above and beyond for everyone they help."C.D.
65 Years of Experience